December 31st, 2012 was supposed to have been our normal New Year’s Eve, spending it at our cabin on the Little Red River. It was snowing and sleeting lightly and we were planning on getting up at 3am to get ready to go duck hunting that morning. We got to the cabin that night which was freezing because we only heat it when we are there. Jesse turned on some electric heaters in which his mom was standing in front of one while I laid on the couch with nearly 5 blankets Jesse had piled on me. He then went to light the propane wall stove. It wouldn’t light so his step dad went outside to turn the bottle off while Jesse tried one last time to light it…when he did the stove exploded sending Jesse across the small cabin. He got up and pushed myself and his mom over the couch and out the door (breaking his mom’s ankle). He stepped outside right as the roof fell in on the fire engulfed cabin. We were rushed to the hospital by a neighbor and Jesse was put on a ventilator and sent to Springfield Mercy Burn Unit. 51 days later he walked out of that hospital with skin grafts on his arms and hands, a tracheotomy, and feeding tube. Jesse said recovering from these injuries and having scarred arms from the elbow down was a small price to pay. There were times we (the doctor’s included) didn’t know if he would survive because of all the propane sucked down his throat. We soon learned God is always watching over, as Jesse is still recovering well and is able to continue his passion of hunting and fishing. The week he got home he was back to fishing although he wasn’t even allowed to drive yet. He had to wear compression sleeves and gloves for one year. He made sure they would blend well with camouflage!
Genesis 28:15 “And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.”